Monday, July 30, 2007

what's in a name?

In English, my name means Flowering shrub. According to babynames.com, it means Heather plant. Either way, I’m flowery. It’s the number seven. My name is green and , purple, full of springtime and new life. It is like an early Easter morning, filled with new life, excitement, anticipation, white mary janes, and the fragrant, lingering smell of Easter lillies. My mother knew a Heather from her childhood. She always loved that name and wanted a little girl named Heather. The name Marie came from both sides of my family. On my fathers’ side, it was the traditional middle name. Five of my cousins share my middle name with me. On my mothers’ side, I am named after my grandmother, Rose Marie. Yes, Marie is technically her middle name as well, but no-one got away with solely calling her Rose. She’d straighten up her shoulders that had been crouched over with osteoporosis and time and quickly tell them in no uncertain terms that her name was Rose Marie. My family says out of all my family, I’m the most like her. She was high society, bossy, and a worrywart. It was always her way- there was no highway. But, she also had a heart of gold. She worked at Scottish Rite as a pink lady for twenty years. She had children from four blocks away visiting her daily because all they needed to do was knock on her door and they were presented with a cookie of their choice. (I must also mention that these were no off-brand cookies. She only got the best- fig newtons or keebler’s fudge shops were some of her favorites.)

I’m frequently told that I don’t resemble my name. Apparently, most Heathers are popular, snobby, and mean. I’m glad that people don’t see me that way! I don’t think I would ever change my name. I like the name I have been given.

No comments: