Monday, July 9, 2007

Writing Response

Foreward

First off, I like the idea of being a "writing project groupie" for the next twenty or so years. That sounds like fun to me! ;)

I liked hearing how the quarterly has evolved through time. I think this will be a great opportunity for the NWP to put into practice what they support so strongly: technology's impact on communication and writing.

Letter to our Readers

Art Peterson says:

The Quarterly took advantage of this alliance by providing a forum where
teachers of all grade levels could publish their ideas, their research, and
their classroom practice in a single journal. Though most university-level
teachers were not new to publishing, The Quarterly broke ground when it
responded to the NWP assumption that significant expertise resides in the hands
of classroom teachers by giving K-12 teachers a vehicle to write about that
expertise.

How true is this? So many great teachers have a huge knowledge base but don't neccesarily get to share it because they are in fact in the classroom and not in a scholarly setting. The Quarterly is a way for these teachers to share their knowledge with the entire academic community.

Twenty Minutes of Fluency...
I liked this article, but I found my sympathy sided more with the students more than the writer. In our workshop today, I experienced both sides of the writing spectrum.

The first writing assignment, about a person that has inspired you, came easily. I had vivid descriptions, a clear message, the whole works. I was surprised at how well it came out in 15 or so minutes.

The second writing assignment- about finding your green stone- wasn't as pretty. I couldn't find that seed I needed to get moving. I fidgeted, I stared at the screen, I stared at Christina's screen, but all to no avail. I couldn't get moving. With six or seven minutes to go, I finally got the idea I needed to move forward. I typed frantically for the last half of the time feeling pressure to get a product that I would be willing to share with little time left. (After all, there was also the first day presssure!)

To make a long story short, writing within a time limit is hard at first. I have a feeling those same students writing would be so much better if they repeatedly were given opportunities to write in 2o minute increments.

1 comment:

Kinderbeanie :) said...

Hi Heather,

I hear you. Writing about some topics just flows and other days, well, it just doesn't. Do we get a glimpse of how our kiddos feel? We are more disciplined than our kiddos, BUT it doesn't make it any easier some days to stop because the clock says so...How are you going to work around this next year? Any thoughts?

Thanks for your great spirit and wondermous writing!

Joyce :)